NEWPORT, R.I. -- Bill Hardesty’s resilience has brought him and his crew of Taylor Canfield, Stephanie Roble and Marcus Eagan to the top of the leader board despite a heavy downpour and fluky winds on the third day of the 2014 Etchells Worlds, hosted by the New York Yacht Club at Harbour Court in association with Sail Newport.
After a two-hour postponement on shore followed by another two hours on the water, storm clouds gathered, the wind velocity increased and the wind direction settled down enough to allow Race 5 to start. Shortly after that, the rain began, so forceful at times the weather mark was obscured. Those who sailed to the right, toward the squall, faired better and rounded the weather mark in the lead, albeit a bit wetter for their efforts. The wind shifted left throughout the race dropping slightly in velocity. Senet Bischoff and Ben Kinney won Race 5 by a healthy margin with Hardesty finishing fourth, giving him a 9-point lead over Hank Lammens, who finished 16th in today’s race. Marvin Beckman sits in third overall followed by John Bertrand in fourth and Ante Razmilovic rounding out the top 5.
Tomorrow’s start time has by moved up 1 hour tomorrow to maximize what is expected to be a dying northerly breeze. After six races have been completed, each team will be able to discard their worst finish
The 2014 Etchells Worlds will continue tomorrow through Saturday. For more on the event, please click here.
2014 Etchells World Championship
Hosted by the New York Yacht Club in association with Sail Newport
Wednesday, June 25, Day 2 Preliminary Top-10 Results
Click here to see the complete results.
(Place, Sail Number, Boat Name, Skipper, Hometown, Race 1, Race 2, Race 3, Race 4, Race 5, Total)
1. USA 979, Line Honors, Bill Hardesty, San Diego, 2-2-20-1-4 29.0
2. CAN 1396, Hank Lammens, Norwalk, Conn., 1-8-1-12-16 38.0
3. USA 1378, The Martian, Marvin Beckmann, Houston, 8-3-11-5-15 42.0
4. AUS 1383, Triad, John Bertrand, South Yarra, Australia, 4-10-5-28-27 74.0
5. HKG 1333, Swedish Blue, Ante Razmilovic, London, U.K., 3-6-8-44-14 75.0
6. USA 1372, Aretas, Skip Dieball, Beaver Dam, Wis., 38-13-4-19-7 81.0
7. USA 1388, Annie, Gary Gilbert, Oakton, Va., 45-5-2-2-48 102.0
8. USA 1308, KGB, Senet Bischoff & Ben Kinney, Larchmont, N.Y. 10-20-25-52-1 108.0
9. USA 1228, Terrapin, Stephen Benjamin, Norwalk, Conn., 16-22-17-25-33 113.0
10. USA 1296, Appreciation, Jeffrey Siegal, Portsmouth, R.I., 17-17-16-17-47 114.0
Photo credit: (c) Sharon Green/New York Yacht Club. For more photos (which are rights-free for press usage provided proper credit is given) click here.
Communications Director, New York Yacht Club
Etchells Class Secretary